Friday, June 4, 2010

“What kind of country is this?”

This past weekend I went to Swaziland for bushfire, a concert that takes place in the Manzini valley. I went with my two site mates Emma and Scooter and we meet our friend Anna in Maputo. On Thursday night we stayed in Namaacha with our home stay families. It was just like old times but so much nicer because I could actually speak Portuguese (that was one of their first comments!) I could also speak a little of the local language with them too which was great. The house had changed so much! I really enjoyed just hanging out with my family and being able to talk about more than just the weather…

On Friday we got up early and walked across the border into Swaziland. It was really fun to walk the border although they could have used better signs… once in swazi it was so different! There were signs everywhere, paved roads, trash cans along the side of the road, pretty much anything you wouldn’t look twice at we were amazed by! It was interesting talking with the locals because even though English is the national language there was still a language barrier. The concert was outside (which was a little cold) but it was fun for the time I was there.

One thing I really enjoyed was the hostel. Everyone was really nice and just cool to hang out with. Much different than my hostel experience in Europe. Even though it was a great trip it was really nice to come home! I can’t believe that in a week and a half I’ll be in South Africa for the World Cup!!! Miss everyone and hope you’re having a great start to summer!

Love,
Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment