Thursday, October 15, 2009

From namaacha

Hey everyone!!

I've been in namaacha for the past two weeks and I can't believe it! It feels like yesterday that I was getting on the plane to go to Philly. Life in Africa has been great so far even with the few hicups I've had. When I arrived in mozambique I spent the first 2 nights at a hotel in Maputo living the last of the good life. From there we came to namaacha which is where we're training. I originally was in a house with a grandma and many of her grandchildren. It was a lot of fun and everyday I woke up to Swaziland. I got moved a week ago but I can still see Swaziland (it's a big topic of conversation here). I know live in a family wig a mother, father, many sons and one daughter. My schedule here mainly consists of eating and bathing. They have 5 meals here and have told me that I have to get fat. I have at least two baths a day which consists of a bucket and a cup. It's not as bad as I thought a bucket bath would be. My days here consist of portuguse class and health classes all day long. My classes start at 7:30 and end at 17:30 on a good day!

I've seen quite the interesting things here. I've seen:
-a chicken get killed and defeathered (my first night here which ended up being my dinner)
-a snake which my vovo (grandma) killed with a stick!
-a goat come by my classroom
-random pigs in my yard
-Swaziland
-a ton of Brazilian novelas and game shows
-kids dancing Michael Jackson better than Michael Jackson
-my hair look like coolio
-big cockroaches and spiders

all in all Mozambique is great!!! I miss you all and hope to stay updated on your lives!
Love,
ana

2 comments:

  1. ann,
    so glad you are having so much fun. your mom said you had to have all kinds of shots. i am getting over the flu, yuck!!. stay away from those spiders and bugs. where are you again so i can look for it in my world atlas.
    aunt sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann!!!!
    Wow! How interesting! Not sure about the snakes and spiders. But at least you had fresh poultry :) We miss you sooooo much at Wishes! I am barely getting by without you. I am so glad to hear from you!! I will let Nina write to you later- and I am going to talk to her teacher about the correspondence program today. Keep you posted. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete